1:1 Initiative at Wilmington Area School District
The 1:1 (One to One) program provides every student with a district owned mobile device such as a Chromebook or iPad.
This initiative will give students access to a more personalized learning experience, and will support the curriculum, foster critical thinking, problem solving, communication, and collaboration in all classrooms for every student. It will provide our future generations the skills necessary to excel in our modern technology driven world.
Use of the device at home is for to Middle and High School students (Grades 5 - 12).
DURING COVID-19, HOME USE IS EXTENDED TO ALL STUDENTS K-12.
Requirements for home use:
- Parents/Guardians of students in grades 5 - 12 are required to read and agree to the 1:1 Handbook
- Students in grades 5 - 12 are also required to read and sign the handbook.
- Parents/Guardians are required to pay a damage insurance fee
A parent/guardian may choose to decline a 1:1 device for their child(ren) ONLY if they decide to provide a personally purchased device to their student. To opt out, the 1:1 Handbook Agreement must be completed during scheduled deployment.
An important consideration: Should your child opt-out and choose to use a personally owned device instead, please understand that software (apps) purchased by the District may not be available or distributed to personally owned devices.
- Students who opt-out will not receive technical support of any kind for any personally owned devices. It will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian & student to ensure the device is working properly and effectively every day. Failure to ensure the device is operating adequately may be viewed as though the student is not prepared for class.
- Students who opt-out will be prohibited from using any District owned Chromebook. Normally, those enrolled in the 1:1 program have the benefit of having access to loaner devices should they encounter issues or forget their device at home. This will not be the case for those who opt-out.
Students using personally owned devices are responsible to purchase any software/apps required for a class. The District will purchase software/apps for District owned devices only. Software/apps may be required at any time without notice.
Those who opt-out are still required to attend deployment to complete paperwork (Read, Accept, and Sign the 1:1 Handbook) and to ensure their device is compatible with District wifi.
Acceptable Personally Owned Devices:
- (RECOMMENDED) Chromebook Laptop, with Intel Processor, 4GB+ Memory, 32GB+ Storage, 11"-15" Screen
- Any major brand is acceptable. Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, etc.
- For reference, the District recently purchased Dell Chromebooks, model 3180.
- Windows or Apple laptops, with Intel Processor, 4GB+ Memory, 128GB+ Storage, 11"-15" screen
- Be wary of battery life of Windows and Apple powered devices! Your student's device needs to last the entire school day.
If you have any questions regarding the 1:1 initiative, please read the 1:1 Handbook in its entirety before contacting your child's Teacher, Principal, or Secretary. It is very likely your question will be answered within the handbook. Otherwise, send your question via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org