English Language Development Program Description:
The Wilmington Area School District shall provide an appropriate planned instructional program for identified students whose dominant language is not English. The goal of the ESL Program is to provide English Learners (ELs) with instructional support that will enable them to participate fully in their educational experience in our schools and in their social lives in our community.
The objectives of the ESL program are to:
- develop the students' proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing English
- provide educational experiences that will prepare the student to complete high school and to enter institutions of higher education and/or the world of work
- orient students and their parents to the school and community
- provide professional development to regular education teachers that will assist them in understanding the process of second language acquisition
- provide ELs with instructional support that will enable them to participate fully in their education experience in our schools and our community
- encourage participation in the full range of instructional activities in the regular education curriculum and in extracurricular activities in our schools
The mission of the English as a Second Language Program in the Wilmington Area School District is to provide instruction and support in English language development to further the linguistic and academic development of the English language, and to cultivate personal and social growth of English Learners.
The English as a Second Language Program in the Wilmington Area School District is committed to providing equitable access for all English Learners so that they can receive meaningful, comprehensible instruction in all content areas and engage in the Wilmington Area School District Community.